Thursday, April 29, 2010

Nitty Gritty in Pink

It’s Nitty Gritty Card of the Day time! I don’t have much time, so I grabbed a card that speaks for itself. It actually SCREAMS for itself. It is card #439 from 1972 Topps of Cubs Hall of Fame outfielder Billy Williams. I have been avoiding posting this card because I can’t remember which generous blogger/reader sent it to me, so if you did, let me know cuz I owe you a huge thank you. I have had this card in my stack of vintage cards lying in wait to become Nitty Gritty Cards of the Day. As I flipped through the stack this card would not be silenced. Sweet Swingin’ Billy from Whistler was a good guy, but a bad ass hitter. I really doubt that the photographer told Billy that he would be framed in day glow pink with the Cubs light up marquee style in yellow. Like I said, this card screams! Williams’ bat screamed too. In ’72 he hit 20+ homers for the 12th season in a row. He also won his first and only batting title with a .333 mark. He was an All Star and swatted 37 homers driving in 122. He finished second in the MVP vote for the second time in his career. Always the bride’s maid, never the bride… Yeah, this card rocks! I could go on, but I will never say it as well as these thousand words framed in pink. I love this game, I love this hobby! 38 years LATER!

2 comments: